Current

event ID 51 error - solved

Hooked up a new backup drive to my home pc and started getting a bunch of “Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation” errors. Kind of tough to debug but here’s how I figured out what was going on:

1. Right clicked on “My Computer” and chose “Manage” from the pop up menu. Then clicked on “Disk Management” to determine which drive was Harddisk1. This is where I discovered it was the new backup drive that was causing the errors.

2. The error seemed to be popping up every hour or so,  so I figured it might be related to power-saver or sleep mode or something. I then went into the disk utilities for the new backup drive and disabled power saving mode.

3. Voila - the error disappeared.

Just for background, the drive was a Seagate 500gb FreeAgent external USB drive. It was working fine even with the errors, but it was driving me nuts trying to figure out the source of the problem.

Leave a Reply